Facebook and Instagram have been my go-to social media platforms since 2014. Where else can you view a positive spin on the lives of others? We all have our beautiful days, but we also have those ugly moments. The kind seen behind closed doors far from the prying eyes of FB “friends” and followers. The disconnection that social media promotes with the option of filters makes it all the more difficult in getting to know people at their core. We all see the fluff, but what about the other important things that make us who we are?
These thoughts have led me share the Proust Questionnaire. I first heard about it in a creative writing class. Its primary purpose was to learn more about my fictional character, but since my final project for the class was a nonfiction piece about myself, I answered the questions.
If you’re curious to know more about your friends or loved ones, this questionnaire is only 35 questions and makes for a good in-depth conversation piece. Since we do have five daughters, this might be a good questionnaire to give to all future son-in-laws.
Are you looking at this from an internal point of view? I find myself going back to this questionnaire once a year. Life has a way of making me see it in different angles so my answers will continue to evolve.
Let me know what you think. If you dare feel free to share your answers in the comments.
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- Which living person do you most admire?
- What is your greatest extravagance?
- What is your current state of mind?
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- On what occasion do you lie?
- What do you most dislike about your appearance?
- Which living person do you most despise?
- What is the quality you most like in a man?
- What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
- When and where were you happiest?
- Which talent would you most like to have?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
- Where would you most like to live?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
- What is your favorite occupation?
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- What do you most value in friends?
- Who are your favorite writers?
- Who is your hero of fiction?
- Which historical figure do you most identify with?
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- What are your favorite names?
- What is it that you most dislike?
- What is your greatest regret?
- How would you like to die?
- What is your motto?